Lawn Play Underlay Turf Starter
When you’re laying new turf it’s important to ensure that your brand new lawn gets a proper head start in life. That’s why Lawn Play have developed a fantastic product Lawn Play Underlay 3kg, perfect for establishing new turf.
When should I use it?
When establishing a new lawn , apply underneath the turf before rolling out your turf.
How do I use it?
Check our how to establish a new lawn here.
Or simply prepare your soil for turf, before laying the turf apply Lawn Play Underlay, you will need 2.5kg for every 100m2. Then simply lay your turf over the top and start watering, the product will do the rest.
What’s in it?
Lots of things, after all new lawns are not like an average lawn, they have been cut, rolled, transported and laid in a completely different environment and suddenly have little to no root structure to grow. So you can’t blame it for being a little needy.
A new lawn requires:
- Fast development of roots
- Plenty of water, with no roots they aren’t easily able to draw up water
- A good healthy soil that is biologically active to ensure nutrients in the soil are available to the new lawn
- A little help in recovering from the stress of being cut and rolled
So that’s exactly what we made.
A new lawn starter fertiliser that contains:
- High level of phosphorous and a suitable phosphorous to nitrogen ratio to help stimulate the root development
- Water crystals are a bonus additive, these sit in the soil and draw up water when there is excess water, they release it back into the soil for the lawn when the soil starts to dry out
- Soil biology with a very diverse range of functions
- High Potassium amount and Potassium to Nitrogen ratio to help harden the plant against insects and diseases
The technical stuff
How does biology help with new turf and soils?
We are huge believers in biology as it has a huge amount of benefits, such as:
- Availability and exchange of key nutrients and trace minerals
- Soil structure and aggregation
- Water infiltration and retention
- Root and shoot development
- Nitrogen fixation
- Disease resistance and suppression of pathogens
- Tolerance to environmental (abiotic) stresses
How do I get the best results?
It’s actually really easy, apply at the label rate, lay your turf and then water. Just let it do it’s thing under the surface.
How much water should I apply to water In?
Water your turf as needed, that will be sufficient to activate the fertiliser.
Is this safe for all turf types?
It is safe for all turf types, however, recent research has shown that Zoysia turf can establish better with no help so we don’t recommend it be used on that turf type.
How long does this product last?
The water crystals will last for a long time, sometimes up to a year. The rest of the fertiliser components will feed your lawn for up to 12 weeks. At which point it’s recommended to follow up with a slow release fertiliser like Lawn Play All Rounder.
Do I need to do anything else when laying my new turf?
LawnPlay Underlay does alot for your new turf but it is also good to check with your supplier about recommendations, As a rule we recommend you protect your lawn from insect damage using Acelepryn.